Show / Hide

Pages

Thursday 19 May 2005

Dengue outbreak..

Sorry for the extremely long post..juz my account of me kena dengue..don't have to read it if you're not interested ;)

Hmm..so Tiong actually got dengue last week, and not sick due to excessive DotA as we first thought haha. A few other fellars around My Place also got it, including Madhavan who's living just a block or two away from us. And unfortunately, yours truly also became a patient the whole of last week..and it's really not a nice experience at all, trust me. Felt so much like dying..and i swear dying will be a much better state than being down with dengue. Yeah, it's THAT bad.

Sun, 8 May 2005
Was feeling fine that morning..until Yih Seong told me he felt a bit feverish. And then all of a sudden i felt feverish too. Thought it was juz me too tired so took a nap in the evening..but by nightfall i was feeling even more tired, with a slight headache even. So i slept early, hoping it'll go away. But that's not what i got. By 1.30am, i was wide awake. Felt like my head was burning from the inside and i was sweating all over so much my bed was soaked. My whole body's on fire too..so hot that my bed, blanket, pillow, mattress and everything in contact with me were like 10 degrees hotter than normal. And then there's that terrible headache... If you ask me how it felt like, it's like your head's being hammered non-stop, that's how it felt like. Hmm..i think that's still less painful than how i felt. Anyway, there's nothing much i could do at that time so you can imagine how i spent the next 2 hours of my life writhing in pain. By the time the headache and fever started to subside, i couldn't think straight anymore. I was like in a daze, thinking of strange stuff, thinking that i'm in a different world already. I even had suicidal thoughts. Yeah, extremely high fever do weird stuff to your head. Believe me. I've been through it.

Mon, 9 May 2005
Went to see the doctor the moment dawn breaks. Couldn't sleep the whole night, kept on hallucinating and being half-conscious. My eyes would close for a few seconds and then i would be wide awake with the pain echoing in my head. By the time morning set in i was feeling weak all over. And i realised i can't walk straight too. Took me so much effort just to walk to the nearest open clinic..and even that's about a km away. Got some fever and sore throat medicine, and an MC for two days. Didn't eat the whole day coz no appetite.

Tue, 10 May 2005
Rashes developed on both my hands yesterday. Went back to the doctor and she said i looked much worse than the day before (i should know better..i felt a billion times worse). Took the first of dozens of blood tests. No dengue. But the doctor said normally dengue can't be detected on the first few days anyway. Practically slept the whole day away.
Platelet count: 161

Wed, 11 May 2005
Couldn't eat anything at all. Felt like vomitting each time i put food into my mouth. But then the hunger's killing me. That's the worse part...feeling hungry but you can't eat. I'll be thinking how nice something will taste like..but when i saw the food itself, my stomach rejects everything. The only thing i could do to stave off hunger is to drink. And it's not helping much.

Thu, 12 May 2005
Took a second blood test, as per doctor's request. She said there's been a dengue outbreak in My Place and quite a number of residents were down with it, so she asked me for a check up. Nothing unusual came up.
Platelet count: 108

Fri, 13 May 2005
Leong fell sick a day or two ago. Went to the doctor this morning and confirmed he got dengue. Took off back to JB the very same night. Looks like he's feeling far worse than me...but then mine already passed a few days. And he'll be missing the A2 final exams (resitting end of this year i think). Sigh..poor Leong..
Platelet count: 96

Sat, 14 May 2005
Me 2nd aunt came to send me to University Hospital for a check-up. Though it's government-funded, it was rather well-equiped and modern..unlike JB's government hospital =/. And the staff were really friendly and efficient too. Guess not all government hospitals are as bad as i thought. At night, my cousin brought me to a clinic in Kepong. She said she got the same sickness before, and she got well after seeing that Kepong doctor. Found out later that she's already 3 months pregnant! How come no one told me..And she even took the time and effort to send me to see the doctor. Couldn't be more grateful to her. And congrats on the new baby! =) Btw the fever and headache had gone away by now, but the rashes had spread all over my legs too =/. Time to wear long sleeves and long pants..
Platelet count: 68

Sun, 15 May 2005
Spent last night at my 2nd aunt's place coz this morning have to take another blood test again. They say have to monitor my platelet level to make sure it does not drop too low, and to check whether it has gone up (which indicates i'm getting well if it does). Evening went back to My Place coz have to study for the next day's Physics paper. Sigh...couldn't do any studying anyway coz i was too tired. Rested a lot instead.
Platelet count: 61

Mon, 16 May 2005
It's been a week now since i first showed the symptoms. Felt a lot better..wanted to skip the blood test today but my uncle suggested against it. So after a disappointing Physics paper (don't ask bout it) in the afternoon, my uncle and aunt brought me to UH again for that bloody blood test.
Platelet count: 98

Tue, 17 May 2005
Morning my uncle and aunt send me to UH again for blood test (when will it ever end..). By now the veins on both my hands were already pricked so many times they were bruised O.o. My platelet level shot up to almost normal, but the doctor said have to do another blood test 'just to make sure'. Sigh. Hmm..btw while there a lady was doing some survery on the 'economic impact of dengue on the burden of family'. Guess i was unfortunate enough to be caught by her, and ended up having to answer so many questions. But at least i'm feeling much better now..
Platelet count: 128

Thu, 19 May 2005
Took the last (hopefully) of my blood test this morning. Thank god...i was wondering how much of my blood do they want. Seems like they already drained a litre out of me =/. Anyway i'm back to normal now...well, as normal as i could possibly be =P, only the rashes haven't go away. Thanx to everyone who's concerned bout me, especially all my apartmentmates, classmates and most of all to my uncle and aunt who wasted so much of their time on me. Yeah, i survived dengue =). Never want to go thru that again...

-6.00pm, 19 May 2005-

No comments: